Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

News of the Day III

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Obama didn't pass DACA, it was an Executive Order. His major legislative achievements were ARRA (stimulus bill) and the ACA, the latter of which is something Democrats had been trying to pass since Truman, so I don't want to minimize that.

    Biden has already passed three major stimulus bills including the infrastructure bill that had become a running joke during Trump's Administration and was something both parties had talked about since the turn of the century but neither had fully enacted. The pandemic stimulus bill has led us to a point where child poverty has hit a 50 year low in the United States and is no small part of why 9.7 million jobs have been created since Biden took office, which is more than 5 times the 1.9 million net jobs that were created during the combined presidencies of Bush I, Bush II, and Trump.

    The latter stimulus bill, the Inflation Reduction Act, not only extended the ACA but it also expanded it by finally requiring federal collective perscription drug price bargaining for Medicare which is wildly popular (I believe even DubDub endorsed this in the past as well as the infrastructure bill) and will save Medicare 98.5B over 10 years.

    In addition, the IRA also included something on the order of 98% of the climate change reduction funding that was originally in the Build Back Better proposal, which is GD amazing considering Manchin was the deciding vote. These provisions will allow the US to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 40% by 2030 and fund the conversion of the US economy from an antiquated fossil fuel based economy to a modern, sustainable energy economy.

    He also got the CHIPs and Science Act done to repatriate the manufacturing of semiconductors, which will enhance national security, and he got the burn pit bill done for the veterans.

    Plus the handling of Ukraine and NATO, for which he got Congress to procure billions of aid that's obviously been critical to Ukraine's success in repulsing Russian aggression.

    If you believe climate change is an existential risk to the world, the IRA was a BFD. If you believe Putin is an existential threat to world peace, procuring funding to help the Ukrainians beat him back was a BFD.

    And in the wildest bit of irony of all, even though it wasn't a legislative achievement, he got Mexico to agree to pony up $1.5B in funding to increase border security.

    Now... my party sucks at beating their chest when they accomplish things, so I'm sure some of this may have come as a surprise to you because the media no longer covers anything but scandals, gossip, and horse race bullshit. But I'm pretty pleased by his body of work in less than two years.
    S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29

    Comment


    • Originally posted by RSchmitz View Post

      The Electoral Count Act was already codified law though, I don't understand why I keep reading posts about how state legislature could overturn election results when the recent amendment just provided procedural clarity.
      The Electoral Count Act language was too vague with regard to alternative slates of electors. It wasn't 100% clear that the BS Trump tried to pull on 1/6 was illegal. What the House passed makes clear what state legislatures can and can't do and what the Vice President can and cannot accept.
      S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29

      Comment


      • Originally posted by pete View Post
        Obama didn't pass DACA, it was an Executive Order. His major legislative achievements were ARRA (stimulus bill) and the ACA, the latter of which is something Democrats had been trying to pass since Truman, so I don't want to minimize that.

        Biden has already passed three major stimulus bills including the infrastructure bill that had become a running joke during Trump's Administration and was something both parties had talked about since the turn of the century but neither had fully enacted. The pandemic stimulus bill has led us to a point where child poverty has hit a 50 year low in the United States and is no small part of why 9.7 million jobs have been created since Biden took office, which is more than 5 times the 1.9 million net jobs that were created during the combined presidencies of Bush I, Bush II, and Trump.

        The latter stimulus bill, the Inflation Reduction Act, not only extended the ACA but it also expanded it by finally requiring federal collective perscription drug price bargaining for Medicare which is wildly popular (I believe even DubDub endorsed this in the past as well as the infrastructure bill) and will save Medicare 98.5B over 10 years.

        In addition, the IRA also included something on the order of 98% of the climate change reduction funding that was originally in the Build Back Better proposal, which is GD amazing considering Manchin was the deciding vote. These provisions will allow the US to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 40% by 2030 and fund the conversion of the US economy from an antiquated fossil fuel based economy to a modern, sustainable energy economy.

        He also got the CHIPs and Science Act done to repatriate the manufacturing of semiconductors, which will enhance national security, and he got the burn pit bill done for the veterans.

        Plus the handling of Ukraine and NATO, for which he got Congress to procure billions of aid that's obviously been critical to Ukraine's success in repulsing Russian aggression.

        If you believe climate change is an existential risk to the world, the IRA was a BFD. If you believe Putin is an existential threat to world peace, procuring funding to help the Ukrainians beat him back was a BFD.

        And in the wildest bit of irony of all, even though it wasn't a legislative achievement, he got Mexico to agree to pony up $1.5B in funding to increase border security.

        Now... my party sucks at beating their chest when they accomplish things, so I'm sure some of this may have come as a surprise to you because the media no longer covers anything but scandals, gossip, and horse race bullshit. But I'm pretty pleased by his body of work in less than two years.
        By this time in his tenure as president Obama had already signed Dodd-Frank and the ACA. Do you think the legislation you listed comes close?
        If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

        Comment


        • Originally posted by RSchmitz View Post
          You could have a legislation full of Steve Bannon clones and that wouldn't mean shit in the courts.
          Depends on the court. See: Aileen Cannon.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by RSchmitz View Post

            By this time in his tenure as president Obama had already signed Dodd-Frank and the ACA. Do you think the legislation you listed comes close?
            I've literally already answered your question in painstaking detail.
            S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29

            Comment


            • Originally posted by RSchmitz View Post


              A strawman argument. He is clearly senile and unlikely to run for re-election. My point is that despite that, he beat the orange imbecile. The Trump brand is very weak if it can’t beat someone who is about to fall off the wrong end of the bell curve.
              Biden is senile? That maybe the goofiest statement ever made on this board.
              “Every man who has stepped foot on the moon launched from the Kennedy Space Center, in Florida. Yet, Florida has failed to figure out how to run an election properly — a task simpler than rocket science.”

              Comment


              • You do realize the SCOTUS is now considering a case that will give state legislatures total authority in federal elections and prevent the courts from checking their abuses?

                https://www.npr.org/2022/06/30/11068...ction-law-case
                “Every man who has stepped foot on the moon launched from the Kennedy Space Center, in Florida. Yet, Florida has failed to figure out how to run an election properly — a task simpler than rocket science.”

                Comment


                • As previously mentioned, the states’ elections may also be controlled by deniers, if elected, in secretary of states and/or governors. But, given their candidate quality, the biggest threat is probably the SCOTUS.
                  "Who are white supremacists?" Proud Boys. "Well I tell the Proud Boys to stand back, and stand by"

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Donnie D View Post
                    You do realize the SCOTUS is now considering a case that will give state legislatures total authority in federal elections and prevent the courts from checking their abuses?

                    https://www.npr.org/2022/06/30/11068...ction-law-case

                    What is your argument? It could potentially stop the state courts, that isn't total authority. States still cannot interfere with the results of an election.​
                    If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Donnie D View Post

                      Biden is senile? That maybe the goofiest statement ever made on this board.
                      The literal definition of senile is a weakness in cognitive capacity due to old age. Use whatever euphemism you'd like, "old age" or stuttering problems, etc. but I'm done arguing facts when it's super clear he's having difficulty.​
                      If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by RSchmitz View Post


                        What is your argument? It could potentially stop the state courts, that isn't total authority. States still cannot interfere with the results of an election.​
                        They can contest state level election results and make the state electors process a complete cluster fuck. Did you open the link DD posted? This delay and ensuing chaos is not necessarily going to be resolved in favor of democracy.
                        "Who are white supremacists?" Proud Boys. "Well I tell the Proud Boys to stand back, and stand by"

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Puckhead View Post

                          They can contest state level election results and make the state electors process a complete cluster fuck. Did you open the link DD posted? This delay and ensuing chaos is not necessarily going to be resolved in favor of democracy.

                          The article dealt with how state redistricting and gerrymandering could drastically change as a result of the decision. It could, but no where did it say states could interfere with national election results. It can't, it's codified. It's part of the constitution, which is also why the article said Trump unsuccessfully contested the results. States can administer in a variety of ways, but they can't run interference afterwards. You probably learned this at one point in high school
                          If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

                          Comment


                          • SMH

                            Like talking to a brick wall.

                            I'm sure the 220+ members of the House, including Jamie Raskin who is a constitutional law expert and founder of the Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project, who felt the need to vote for the Electoral Count Act fix bill are just ill informed and they should've just phoned up Constitutional law expert RSchmitz to set them straight.
                            S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by RSchmitz View Post


                              The article dealt with how state redistricting and gerrymandering could drastically change as a result of the decision. It could, but no where did it say states could interfere with national election results. It can't, it's codified. It's part of the constitution, which is also why the article said Trump unsuccessfully contested the results. States can administer in a variety of ways, but they can't run interference afterwards. You probably learned this at one point in high school
                              FFS, the case that’s being heard includes more than just redistricting: a state’s ability to throw out election results if they don’t meet the ruling party’s wishes and decertifying electors are also argued. Giving states full authority to regulate election without federal oversight means disenfranchised voters can’t appeal to a federal court, federal representatives sent to the US house could be as partisan as the state allows, and people’s voting rights could be severely undermined, worse than they already have been in the Deep South and Texas.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jstreim View Post

                                FFS, the case that’s being heard includes more than just redistricting: a state’s ability to throw out election results if they don’t meet the ruling party’s wishes and decertifying electors are also argued. Giving states full authority to regulate election without federal oversight means disenfranchised voters can’t appeal to a federal court, federal representatives sent to the US house could be as partisan as the state allows, and people’s voting rights could be severely undermined, worse than they already have been in the Deep South and Texas.
                                No, the state legislature has no authority to overturn election results. The disenfranchisement and redistricting is a problem, but again and again ya'll are parroting this bs that national election results can be decertified to the whim of state legislature and it's not true.
                                If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X