Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

News of the Day III

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by the_narrow_way View Post
    It only takes 30% when you've removed the opposition from voter rolls, made it harder to vote in D counties, etc. I wish I could say that your lack of concern was hilarious but it's not.
    THIS IS NOT NAZI GERMANY, there were over 100 million early ballots cast last election cycle.

    I despise gerrymandering, it is deeply undemocratic, but Democrats haven't even attempted to do anything about it until recently since they do it themselves.
    If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

    Comment


    • Originally posted by RSchmitz View Post

      You could have a legislation full of Steve Bannon clones and that wouldn't mean shit in the courts.
      Judge Aileen Cannon says hello.

      Also, Clarence Thomas' wife was literally one of the organizers of the 1/6 coup attempt and was read into/involved in the fake electors scheme.

      The. Judicial. Branch. Has. Been. Corrupted.

      You cannot assume they will follow the law and accepted precedent. The Dobbs decision to overturn Roe is proof positive of that.
      S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jdhebner View Post
        This is the most frightening post I’ve ever read.
        Sure, I believe you
        If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

        Comment


        • Originally posted by pete View Post

          LOL, you need to stop watching Fox. Is he old? Yes. Has a touch of a stuttering problem he's dealt with his whole life? Yes. Senile? Did you watch the speech he gave to the UN yesterday?

          Also, given the power of incumbency and how hard it is to defeat an incumbent POTUS, how the right has driven up Harris' unfavorables, and how Democrats' fortunes and his own personal approval ratings have rebounded, I would say it's greater than 50/50 he stands for re-election.
          How intellectually dishonest can you be?



          He's so far removed from the vibrant and quick witted man above. Oh, he's just "old"? I would reacquaint myself with the word "senile" then, because the years have taken a toll on him. The hypersensitivity towards him being in decline is just blind partisanship, because he is. Call a spade a spade
          If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

          Comment


          • Originally posted by pete View Post

            I see intense peril from any candidate who could win the Republican nomination in this day and age given the base's slide into insanity and their warm embrace of fascism as a MO.

            Considering there will be a Republican nominee, I would much rather have Trump as an opponent than someone else
            If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Bolthed View Post
              Some folks were as confident as you in 2015 that there was no way he’d defeat 8-10 Republican candidates, no chance he’d actually be the nominee, zero possibility he’d win the presidency.
              Some people thought trying tide pods was a neat idea too until they actually tried it. If he wasn't running against the worst Democratic nominee since Mondale he would have lost. Since then he's alienated everyone left of the MAGA cult with the anarchist shit​​
              If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

              Comment


              • Originally posted by pete View Post

                Judge Aileen Cannon says hello.

                Also, Clarence Thomas' wife was literally one of the organizers of the 1/6 coup attempt and was read into/involved in the fake electors scheme.

                The. Judicial. Branch. Has. Been. Corrupted.

                You cannot assume they will follow the law and accepted precedent. The Dobbs decision to overturn Roe is proof positive of that.
                I say that legislative branch has fuck all to do with voting outcomes and you mention judges? Come on, you're a smart guy, it's so easy to not conflate what I am saying.

                As an aside, I agree with you. I literally said a few posts ago that the Supreme Court has us fucked.
                If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

                Comment


                • Originally posted by RSchmitz View Post

                  How intellectually dishonest can you be?



                  He's so far removed from the vibrant and quick witted man above. Oh, he's just "old"? I would reacquaint myself with the word "senile" then, because the years have taken a toll on him. The hypersensitivity towards him being in decline is just blind partisanship, because he is. Call a spade a spade
                  That's delightful. I'd lay $1,000 if you tried to read the same speech in front of an audience you wouldn't do half as well. Hell, I'd lay $10,000.

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bThDV2g5Go

                  In "decline" and even with his lifelong stuttering issues he's still more cogent and eloquent than Trump or Dubya were.

                  It's irritating as hell the double standard for Biden after four years of a president who thought people should inject themselves with disinfectant and shoot up with a bovine anti-parasite drug. But sure, Biden's the one who is "senile" and "declining".
                  Last edited by pete; 09-22-2022, 06:32 PM.
                  S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by RSchmitz View Post

                    I say that legislative branch has fuck all to do with voting outcomes and you mention judges? Come on, you're a smart guy, it's so easy to not conflate what I am saying.

                    As an aside, I agree with you. I literally said a few posts ago that the Supreme Court has us fucked.
                    You keep saying the Judicial Branch is going to act as some sort of backstop. It's not. Hence why the Legislative Branch needs to codify a lot of common sense things we've long taken for granted. Like, you know, state legislatures shouldn't be able to throw out election results after the fact to install their hand picked electors.
                    S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by pete View Post
                      It's irritating as hell the double standard for Biden after four years of a president who thought people should inject themselves with disinfectant and shoot up with a bovine anti-parasite drug. But sure, Biden's the one who is "senile" and "declining".
                      This is the equivalent of saying one shouldn't critic NHL players since we couldn't perform as well. This is the President of the United States ffs.....​

                      Originally posted by pete View Post
                      In "decline" and even with his lifelong stuttering issues he's still more cogent and eloquent than Trump or Dubya were.

                      It's irritating as hell the double standard for Biden after four years of a president who thought people should inject themselves with disinfectant and shoot up with a bovine anti-parasite drug. But sure, Biden's the one who is "senile" and "declining".
                      Yes, but he's still in decline, and senile....it's ok to admit it.

                      Is the whataboutism on Trump meant for me or just popular talking points? I'd take senile Biden 100/100 times over the orange imbecile. I'd take a comatose Biden over Trump on his best day.
                      If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

                      Comment


                      • With all due respect, the man has done more with 50 seats in the Senate than a much younger and more articulate Obama could do with 59-60 seats in the Senate. While reassembling our NATO coalition and helping Ukraine overcome Russian aggression in the first land war in Europe since Bosnia.

                        If you want to imply the guy is losing his mind and incapable of doing the job, have at it. The empirical evidence says the opposite.

                        I don't give a shit if the guy speaks slowly and stutters from time to time. He's getting his agenda done while handling nearly all of the curve balls that the course of history throw at him pretty well. Even averting rail strikes. Things the old school frankly knows how to do way better than younger and more polished generations.
                        S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by pete View Post

                          You keep saying the Judicial Branch is going to act as some sort of backstop. It's not. Hence why the Legislative Branch needs to codify a lot of common sense things we've long taken for granted. Like, you know, state legislatures shouldn't be able to throw out election results after the fact to install their hand picked electors.
                          I don't believe that our fourteenth amendment right of due process under the constitution is open to interpretation, and even if it were, the Electoral Count Act is already a law. State legislatures cannot change voting results after election day. The amendments being made help add clarity to procedures and objections from congress, but states never had the authority to throw out results.
                          If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

                          Comment


                          • It's ALL open to interpretation. These institutions all depend on the good faith actions of their caretakers to sustain them. There are at least five justices in DC right now that are demonstrably not good faith actors.

                            I am 100% in favor of Congress codifying these very common sense laws, including codifying Roe, a new VRA, etc., and then daring Alito et al to overturn them. And if they do, that's when you'll have the political will in this country to reform a corrupt court system by adding seats and adding term limits.
                            S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by pete View Post
                              With all due respect, the man has done more with 50 seats in the Senate than a much younger and more articulate Obama could do with 59-60 seats in the Senate. While reassembling our NATO coalition and helping Ukraine overcome Russian aggression in the first land war in Europe since Bosnia.

                              If you want to imply the guy is losing his mind and incapable of doing the job, have at it. The empirical evidence says the opposite.

                              I don't give a shit if the guy speaks slowly and stutters from time to time. He's getting his agenda done while handling nearly all of the curve balls that the course of history throw at him pretty well. Even averting rail strikes. Things the old school frankly knows how to do way better than younger and more polished generations.
                              You're purposefully minimizing his lapses in memory and speaking gaffs, or you've become blind to it, it's not just stuttering. He's been a national figure head for decades, you think I just finally noticed the stutters? He's year 2 into what you are hoping is an 8 year tenure. Yes, I am concerned. I've seen the sad, rapid mental decline of enough old folk to notice the signs. You're not concerned at all?

                              Biden ran his campaign and chose early on that he was going to compromise and facilitate. Good on him, he's passed a lot of good legislation because of it, and upheld some campaign promises. I applaud him. Do you think any of that legislation comes close to what Obama had to do in passing DACA and the ACA?
                              If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by pete View Post
                                It's ALL open to interpretation. These institutions all depend on the good faith actions of their caretakers to sustain them. There are at least five justices in DC right now that are demonstrably not good faith actors.

                                I am 100% in favor of Congress codifying these very common sense laws, including codifying Roe, a new VRA, etc., and then daring Alito et al to overturn them. And if they do, that's when you'll have the political will in this country to reform a corrupt court system by adding seats and adding term limits.
                                The Electoral Count Act was already codified law though, I don't understand why I keep reading posts about how state legislature could overturn election results when the recent amendment just provided procedural clarity.
                                If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X