No announcement yet.

News of the Day III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An expansion of Stand Your Ground? What could go wrong?
    Draft legislation puts specifics behind Gov. Ron DeSantis’ pledge to crack down on “violent and disorderly assemblies” in response to police-brutality protests.

Comment

• Originally posted by gphockey View Post

Lets simplify this,
      Evangelicals believe in the Gospel in the Bible and that Jesus Christ is Savior and Lord.
      The term “evangelical” comes from the Greek word euangelion, meaning “the good news” or the “gospel.”
      The evangelical faith focuses on the “good news” of salvation brought to sinners by Jesus Christ.
      In this case, I don't hitch my wagon to Trump but to Christ.
      I cannot speak for the human failures of evangelical leaders, not my place to judge.
      Let's simplify further: I'm cool with forcibly separating children from their families, because I think I can overturn Roe, and finally get that $700 back that Obama owes me for not doing what I was supposed to do.
      When confronted by this hypocrisy, I will proffer legalism, whataboutism, and ridiculously irrelevant definitions in a way to shirk the moral responsibility of the consequences of my political vote.

Lot of talk, bullshit walk. No sense continuing this, I've been down this road with too many evangelicals to think anything is going to penetrate into your heart or mind.

You need some mirror time, my man. Start considering what it is you argue in favor of, and the policies you choose to defend.
      Bullshit Centrist and Ondrej Palat fan club member

Comment

• From Christian pastor John Pavlovitz:

“Dear White Evangelicals,
        I need to tell you something: People have had it with you.
        They’re done.
        They want nothing to do with you any longer, and here’s why:
        They see your hypocrisy, your inconsistency, your incredibly selective mercy, and your thinly veiled supremacy.
        For eight years they watched you relentlessly demonize a black President; a man faithfully married for 26 years; a doting father and husband without a hint of moral scandal or the slightest whiff of infidelity.
        They watched you deny his personal faith convictions, argue his birthplace, and assail his character—all without cause or evidence. They saw you brandish Scriptures to malign him and use the laziest of racial stereotypes in criticizing him.
        And through it all, White Evangelicals—you never once suggested that God placed him where he was,
        you never publicly offered prayers for him and his family,
        you never welcomed him to your Christian Universities,
        you never gave him the benefit of the doubt in any instance,
        you never spoke of offering him forgiveness or mercy,
        your evangelists never publicly thanked God for his leadership,
        your pastors never took to the pulpit to offer solidarity with him,
        you never made any effort to affirm his humanity or show the love of Jesus to him in any quantifiable measure.
        You violently opposed him at every single turn—without offering a single ounce of the grace you claim as the heart of your faith tradition. You jettisoned Jesus as you dispensed damnation on him.
        And yet you give carte blanche to a white Republican man so riddled with depravity, so littered with extramarital affairs, so unapologetically vile, with such a vast resume of moral filth—that the mind boggles.
        And the change in you is unmistakable. It has been an astonishing conversion to behold: a being born again.
        With him, you suddenly find religion.
        With him, you’re now willing to offer full absolution.
        With him, all is forgiven without repentance or admission.
        With him you’re suddenly able to see some invisible, deeply buried heart.
        With him, sin has become unimportant, compassion no longer a requirement.
        With him, you see only Providence.
        And White Evangelicals, all those people who have had it with you—they see it all clearly.
        They recognize the toxic source of your inconsistency.
        They see that pigmentation and party are your sole deities.
        They see that you aren’t interested in perpetuating the love of God or emulating the heart of Jesus.
        They see that you aren’t burdened to love the least, or to be agents of compassion, or to care for your Muslim, gay, African, female, or poor neighbors as yourself.
        They see that all you’re really interested in doing, is making a God in your own ivory image and demanding that the world bow down to it.
        They recognize this all about white, Republican Jesus—not dark-skinned Jesus of Nazareth.
        And I know you don’t realize it, but you’re digging your own grave in these days; the grave of your very faith tradition.
        Your willingness to align yourself with cruelty is a costly marriage. Yes, you’ve gained a Supreme Court seat, a few months with the Presidency as a mouthpiece, and the cheap high of temporary power—but you’ve lost a whole lot more.
        You’ve lost an audience with millions of wise, decent, good-hearted, faithful people with eyes to see this ugliness.
        You’ve lost any moral high ground or spiritual authority with a generation.
        You’ve lost any semblance of Christlikeness.
        You’ve lost the plot.
        And most of all you’ve lost your soul.
        I know it’s likely you’ll dismiss these words. The fact that you’ve even made your bed with such malevolence, shows how far gone you are and how insulated you are from the reality in front of you.
        But I had to at least try to reach you. It’s what Jesus would do.”
        John Pavlovitz
        “Every man who has stepped foot on the moon launched from the Kennedy Space Center, in Florida. Yet, Florida has failed to figure out how to run an election properly — a task simpler than rocket science.”

Comment

• Originally posted by gphockey View Post

No. Will not.
          I joined Sunshine Network board years ago as a hockey fan of the Lightning and that's the primary reason why I am here. Is that why we are not all here?
          I could care less about credibility here on this board, especially in this category.
          You want responses and debates, well as most of you know, I am not really willing.
          I don't have the time or energy to devote to getting electronically ripped to shreds like most of you did with Waiver. There was a guy that most of you lefties disagreed with, and he was willing to engage, but no, alot of you came down on him in a wolf pack fashion, ripped him up, tried to discredit him (M.O. sound familiar?) and and chased him from the board.
          No thanks.
          Make your own list.
          If you are unwilling to respond and/or debate, stick to hockey. Not interested in your “faith” and inability to defend the resulting posts.

Stay in your lane. Proselytizing is not welcome here.

I’m a senior. As are Donnie, Puckhead, and JB.

Who knew?

Comment

• Originally posted by ChaseSpace View Post
            Pompeo says there will be a smooth transition "into a second Trump administration" and his current administration is telling them to begin enacting Trump's budget proposals for the next fiscal year.

GP, it's hard to say "both sides should come together" when one side is openly flirting with sedition and members of that same party are either standing by and doing nothing to stop it or openly helping/encouraging it(looking at you, Graham).
            Trump loves Pompeo because he can truly greet him with “ Hey, fatter than me”
            I’m a senior. As are Donnie, Puckhead, and JB.

Who knew?

Comment

• It appears that, between the changes being made at the DOD and Barr issuing that order to prosecutors about voting "irregularities" allowing opening investigations without the predicate of there actually being any crime, they're laying the groundwork for a coup. And the Republicans are going along with it because Trump's threatened to not help them with turnout in the two Senate runoffs with the mouthbreathers unless they go along with it. So McConnell's playing this dangerous game that may end with some poor general being put in the position of having to decide whether to ignore an unlawful order from the CIC.

It's just terrifying. The whole lot of them need to be put in jail. I don't care if it's "painful" for the country, these authoritarian knuckleheads are going to burn down democracy sooner or later if you don't put them in jail.
              S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29

Comment

• I think the consensus is that Trump is most interested in having people in place that can try and prove that Obama and Biden spied on his campaign in 2016. He is fixated on this crazy concept that Obama committed crimes and should be in jail. The bozos that he has placed in the jobs couldn’t wage war and are just nut jobs.
                “Every man who has stepped foot on the moon launched from the Kennedy Space Center, in Florida. Yet, Florida has failed to figure out how to run an election properly — a task simpler than rocket science.”

Comment

• You wouldn't be infecting the DOD with your stooges if that were the plot.

They're also reclassifying a bunch of their stooges as career government instead of political appointees to try to imbed their own "Deep State" into DC. This is horrible and it'll take years to clean up, starting with orange jumpsuits for a lot of people who must have them at this point.
                  S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29

Comment

• None of that will happen. This is a last second attempt by Trump to give some nods to his business buddies and then he'll concede presidency having milked it for all of it's worth. How much does he have to gain from a second tenure? Extending tax cuts to himself? Nope, not enough...narcissistic jerk knows the juice isn't worth the squeeze at this point
                    If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

Comment

• Originally posted by RSchmitz View Post
                      None of that will happen. This is a last second attempt by Trump to give some nods to his business buddies and then he'll concede presidency having milked it for all of it's worth. How much does he have to gain from a second tenure? Extending tax cuts to himself? Nope, not enough...narcissistic jerk knows the juice isn't worth the squeeze at this point
                      Someone like this won't stop until someone stops them.

Comment

• How much does he have to gain from a second tenure?
                        Another four years of dodging assorted state and federal indictments for one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maverick9911 View Post

Another four years of dodging assorted state and federal indictments for one.
                          Maybe I'm just being blasé but I've heard this shtick so often, I'll believe it when I see it.
                          If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

Comment

• Originally posted by pete View Post

Someone like this won't stop until someone stops them.
                            The constitution will stop him, he'll vacate the presidency without any fanfare once things become inconvenient. He's ignorant and self centered, but he won't let his ideology get in the way of his well being. That was clear during the last 4 years

Comment

• What ideology?
                              “Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU

Comment

• I don't think you all perceive the danger of letting the Trump gaggle back onto the streets without holding them accountable for their rank corruption.

They have the means now to start a digital media company that will do nothing but inject poison into the American political body for the next four years in preparation for Trump or Trump Jr. to run for POTUS in 2024, and if they get in again they will try to complete the authoritarian takeover of American government. They got surprisingly close to overthrowing democracy in this first term and if he had gotten in for a second term I'm fairly certain America would've ceased to be America as we knew it since post-WWII.

We have a very, very, very sick democracy on our hands. Biden's election is like hooking it up to an IV and stabilizing its condition, but only for four years. More needs to be done to save the country. A lot more.

Comment

Working...
                                X