Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to a first draft the Chronicle obtained, the Texas GOP will now endorse ex-gay therapy for “patients who are seeking escape from the homosexual lifestyle”:
    Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable alternative lifestyle, in public policy, nor should family be redefined to include homosexual couples. We believe there should be no granting of special legal entitlements or creation of special status for homosexual behavior, regardless of state of origin.
    Additionally, we oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values. We recognize the legitimacy and value of counseling which offers reparative therapy and treatment to patients who are seeking escape from the homosexual lifestyle. No laws or executive orders shall be imposed to limit or restrict access to this type of therapy.
    http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/0...atform-ex-gay/

I, um, yeah. Just to cap it off, from the Texas GOP platform on their website (I kid you not, this is their official platform):

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.
    http://www.texasgop.org/about/

So, they oppose learning that causes kids to think, ask questions, and learn. Wow, I mean, yeah.
    Last edited by BurnTHalO; 06-05-2014, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• I'm pretty apolitical - I dislike both parties and how the political process has devolved over the years. No one willing to step up and be a real leader, as they are all beholden to lobbyists and getting re-elected. But I do vote every year, for the candidate and their views, not their party affiliation.

The latest thing to confuse me on politics is the Bergdahl release. Over the five years he was in captivity, I really can't recall hearing these stories that have come out since last Sunday. How he was drunk the night he was captured, how he deserted his unit, how the other men in his unit did not like him or respect him. I recall stories of yellow ribbons tied around trees and that the POTUS was not doing enough to secure his release. I've read he was promoted to sergeant even after he was captured.

I feel Obama should have at least consulted with senior members of both parties and gotten their approval of any deal before acting. Releasing 5 members of the Taliban (and not just grunts but key members of the terrorist group) was a high price to pay. Even if time was of the essence, this should not have been the sole decision of anyone, no matter what their party.

But once again, this seems to have been another opportunity for politicians to crush the President for anything he does. I'm sure there must be links out there prior to the release that he is not doing anything to secure Bergdahl's release. There may have been other Presidents that have done similar deals to get Americans released that have been praised.

Bergdahl will have his chance to tell his side of the story. In my mind, if he was a deserter, why wasn't he sent to a military prison hospital instead for evaluation? Hopefully the medical staff is preparing him for what awaits him from the news media when he does get released. Right now, I just feel he is the latest pawn in the most recent firestorm of the Obama administration. What will it take for the American public to demand more out of their elected representatives than platitudes and months and months of vitriol leading up to the next election?

Comment

• The only problem I have with his release was the whole dog and pony show that took place at the White House and with Susan Rice declaring that he was a hero. Maybe he was, but wait for the DOD to do their investigation until you declare him a hero.

2 or 3 years ago the President did go to Congress and talk to them about this possible trade and the releasing of these 5 prisoners. Many, from both sides of the aisle, did not like the idea and did voice their opinion.

Then Congress passed a bill that said the President has to give them a 30 day notice prior to any release of prisoners of this type. President Obama reluctantly signed the bill into law. Many in Congress, once again on both sides of the aisle, are claiming that the President violated the law. But did he? Yes he did violated this law, but this law does take away power that was given to the President by the Constitution therefore I do not think this law would ever stand up in a court of law.

I think a bigger question is why has he for several years been trying to get these same 5 prisoners released and why now. This war is not over yet and in the future we will still have troops there. I think that those that remain will now become targets in hopes of swapping them out. Some think with these guys gone that they can finally close down the hell hole in Cuba as these were the 5 worst there.

No one should be even thinking now what was going through this soldier's head. Those that were stationed with him said he was becoming bored and wanted more action. Hell maybe he thought he could end the war.

One has to wonder why this President would try for years to get these guys out of here and bring one back, while at the same time doing nothing about the VA and the problems he has known about for years and even campaigned against claiming he would reform the VA. Didn't happen until one doctor came forward and spilled his guts.

Comment

• Originally posted by WaiverWire View Post
          The only problem I have with his release was the whole dog and pony show that took place at the White House and with Susan Rice declaring that he was a hero. Maybe he was, but wait for the DOD to do their investigation until you declare him a hero.
          There's a certain heroic quality in being a POW survivor, IMO. Regardless of any thing else you may or may not have done.

And while I'm at it.... you bring people home. No matter if they AWOL'd or not. Mainly because that's the kind of people we need to be. But also because no one wants to go to war, but when the suits order you to go, they should do their damnest to bring you back, regardless of what you do while you are there. That's just got your back 101.

All of this morality or ethics litmus tests the conservatives now seem to be throwing around about whether some deserves to be ransomed home or not absolutely disgusts me.

Comment

• But once again, this seems to have been another opportunity for politicians to crush the President for anything he does. I'm sure there must be links out there prior to the release that he is not doing anything to secure Bergdahl's release. There may have been other Presidents that have done similar deals to get Americans released that have been praised.
            There are some pretty funny screen shots people have put together of the Twitter timelines of rank and file conservatives tweeting or retweeting 2-3 weeks ago that the POTUS shouldn't forget Bowe Bergdahl and that it was shameful to leave any soldier behind... and then absolutely slaying him for bringing Bergdahl back. There's literally nothing Obama can do that they won't criticize. He could come out tomorrow for puppies and kittens and they'd call him a pet ageist.
            S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29

Comment

• Originally posted by pete View Post
              There's literally nothing Obama can do that they won't criticize. He could come out tomorrow for puppies and kittens and they'd call him a pet ageist.
              You cannot convince me that the "criticize everything; applaude nothing" tactic that the conservative nation has adopted for this President is anything but racially motivated -- consciously or subconsciously. For those that believe, there are spiritual laws in which demons manifest uncontrollably, and I believe we have witnessed this manifestation. It brings to the surface that which tries to hide itself and fly deep below the radar. And, you'll see those same manifestations if Hillary is elected as there's a thick and hidden misogynous demonic presence also deep in the conservative pool. Bill C. had opposition, but not like what we've seen with Obama.

I abide somewhat though... by 2020 or so, there will be more total minorities in the nation than whites, and I'm smart enough to recognize all of this petulance and manifestation as the desperate last gasp at control of power.

Comment

There's literally nothing Obama can do that they won't criticize. He could come out tomorrow for puppies and kittens and they'd call him a pet ageist.
                This made me chuckle. He has done plenty to make me shake my head (and I voted for him), but it does seem there is nothing he can do to break the gridlock without being castigated. The country will remain flatlining for at least another two years, while other countries pass us by. Where are the great politicians of the past to restore this country's reputation as the greatest country in the world? Every politician should be one termers so that maybe they would actually do something during their term instead of scheming and fund raising for their next term.

Comment

• These conservative politicians will find themselves pining for Obama in a few years. He's a nice guy and a pushover, in many ways. She, on the other hand, will cut your heart out and feed it to you without even blinking if you cross her.
                  S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29

Comment

There are some pretty funny screen shots people have put together of the Twitter timelines of rank and file conservatives tweeting or retweeting 2-3 weeks ago that the POTUS shouldn't forget Bowe Bergdahl and that it was shameful to leave any soldier behind... and then absolutely slaying him for bringing Bergdahl back. There's literally nothing Obama can do that they won't criticize. He could come out tomorrow for puppies and kittens and they'd call him a pet ageist.
                    And what do you say to the democrats that came out against what he did? This was not from one side of the aisle.

And Donnie is correct. This guy sounds very unstable.

And if someone doesn't want to believe that who in their right mind would leave their gear behind and then crawl through the grass, as 2 Afgan kids told those looking for him.

The real tragedy in this whole mess was those that died looking for him.

Makes me wonder if our military isn't as screwed up as our VA, but then the WH rarely listens to what the military leaders have to say.
                    Last edited by WaiverWire; 06-08-2014, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• We are all speculating on the mental condition of Bergdahl. At the time he was captured and currently. I don't take anything a POW says on a video as his true feelings, as they could be under extreme mental duress and will say anything to appease his captors. I've also heard he tried twice escape from his captors while in Afghanistan or Pakistan, doesn't sound to me like a sympathizer to the cause of the Taliban. McCain, of all people, should know that and be careful in his remarks.

I do find it curious that he has been allowed to speak to his parents but does not want to do so. Feelings of shame or remorse, guilt over the circumstances of his capture? That's something I would want to know about.

I just don't like the fact he has become a political pawn in the continuous battle between the two parties that make up the political system. The man has been through hell, he deserves time to recover mentally and physically.

As for the VA and how screwed up it is, don't get me started. My Dad, a WWII veteran, died at the hands of VA doctors in New York, having unnecessary surgery done that prolonged his suffering and prematurely ended his life....in 2002. This crap has been going on for many years. It didn't mysteriously begin on Inauguration Day 2008. Even after my Dad's death, the VA screwed up by sending my Mom some other vet's death certificate in an envelope addressed to my Dad...who died in their care. More salt in the wound, and I will never forgive them for what they put her through.
                      Last edited by nutznboltz; 06-08-2014, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• And what do you say to the democrats that came out against what he did?
                        I'd say "Democrats" from swing districts and/or in election years are often scared of their own shadows, and have a tendency to piss their pants at fabricated controversies when they shouldn't. That says more about them than it does about Obama.

BTW, while their politicians and mouthpieces were attacking the integrity of an American POW, evidently some of the rank and file wingnuts have been sending death threats to Berdahl's parents. If you have a long beard and give an interview where you attack gays and stupidly say black people had it good before desegregation, that makes you a political martyr. But, if you have a long beard and want your POW son released, you're a f'ing terrorist sympathizer and need to die, or something. And that's why the GOP can't win national elections anymore: because they fail the test when it comes to basic sanity/decency.

And, the VA's been screwed up for as long as I've been alive. You can be mad at Obama for not fixing it, because he's said it's a priority of his (I would say there's blame to share with the austerity budgets that have been rolled out the past few years, which starves the VA of resources at a time when they're adding many more vets who need help), but you can't say he's the one who broke the system to begin with.

Comment

• Everybody should read this article. There's a lot more to this story than most news outlets are sharing.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...ahl-here-s-why

Originally posted by nutznboltz View Post
                          Even after my Dad's death, the VA screwed up by sending my Mom some other vet's death certificate in an envelope addressed to my Dad...who died in their care. More salt in the wound, and I will never forgive them for what they put her through.
                          That reminds me of a sarcastic jab against WWII England's treatment of its fallen, courtesy of Roger Waters.
                          From 'When the Tigers Broke Free':
                          And kind old King George
                          Sent Mother a note
                          When he heard that father was gone.
                          It was, I recall,
                          In the form of a scroll,
                          With gold leaf adorned,
                          And I found it one day
                          In a drawer of old photographs, hidden away.
                          And my eyes still grow damp to remember
                          His Majesty signed
                          With his own rubber stamp.
                          Last edited by the_narrow_way; 06-09-2014, 10:05 AM.

Comment

I'd say "Democrats" from swing districts and/or in election years are often scared of their own shadows, and have a tendency to piss their pants at fabricated controversies when they shouldn't. That says more about them than it does about Obama.

BTW, while their politicians and mouthpieces were attacking the integrity of an American POW, evidently some of the rank and file wingnuts have been sending death threats to Berdahl's parents. If you have a long beard and give an interview where you attack gays and stupidly say black people had it good before desegregation, that makes you a political martyr. But, if you have a long beard and want your POW son released, you're a f'ing terrorist sympathizer and need to die, or something. And that's why the GOP can't win national elections anymore: because they fail the test when it comes to basic sanity/decency.

And, the VA's been screwed up for as long as I've been alive. You can be mad at Obama for not fixing it, because he's said it's a priority of his (I would say there's blame to share with the austerity budgets that have been rolled out the past few years, which starves the VA of resources at a time when they're adding many more vets who need help), but you can't say he's the one who broke the system to begin with.
                            So why is Dianne Feinstein so upset with the WH? Every Sunday news show had someone from the democrat side say that behind the scenes many of the democrats are upset how the WH handled this issue. Even some of your most stanch supporters of the WH from the media are wondering why.

As for the gang of 5, we will not know if these 5 were the right 5 to release until time has passed. History will tell of if we did the right thing or did we allow 5 criminals to re-enter society to reek havoc on their own people or worse, us. If it was left up to me I would have a drone following each one of them and if they made one false move...........

What others have said here, that you have to wait till the reports are filled by the DOD, is what everyone must do. This is not just about what this guy did to get captured, but it is about what he had done prior to this and why did the military, or his platoon mates, not report this guy sooner.

As for the VA, yes it has been a mess for years and under several different Presidents. But our current President campaigned on these problems and is on record several times saying he would take action. Prior to the firing what has he done?

pete, you know you make good points, but when you try to blame the issues at hand on past administrations it is like a little kid screaming "but Johnny did it". I don't give a rats behind about the past, I care about the present and getting the help our veterans need. This President has been in office for 6 years now. He has had more than enough time to deal with the VA. But it took whistleblowers and social media to get this disgraceful problem out in the open. I, like many others, am tired of the President saying he didn't know about the problem until he say it in the news. Sounds to me like he needs a new staff.

Many in Tampa thought that our VA was doing a great job. Turns out that they are now open 7 days a week to get those in a "backlog" seen by a doctor and to get the treatment they need. I have a funny feeling man VA hospitals will be doing the same.
                            Last edited by WaiverWire; 06-09-2014, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WaiverWire View Post

As for the VA, yes it has been a mess for years and under several different Presidents.
                              Maybe if the last one didn't create so many new injured vets we wouldn't have the issues we're having.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sotnos View Post
                                Maybe if the last one didn't create so many new injured vets we wouldn't have the issues we're having.
                                This could be true, but that doesn't change the fact that after 6 years someone did nothing even with the whispers for years there was a problem. Even the Bush administration let the Obama White House know, in a final transition report, that there was a problem at the VA with a back log on wait times.

Nor the fact that those that work at the VA deceived everyone with cooking the books with these secret lists and by manipulating their computers to hide and mislead the Auditor General when conducting reviews by hiding information they did not wand the AG to find.

This is a VA that still has $450,000,000 in an account for aiding our veterans and had no intention on using these funds to better staff the hospitals.

So be my guest and throw stones at the past actions of prior administrations while our veterans are not getting the care they need.

You see Sotnos, this is not about which side of the aisle one may be on. It is about doing what is right for those that served for us.
                                Last edited by WaiverWire; 06-09-2014, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X