Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longoria/Price call out fans

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5625055

I'm going to have to wean myself off this team before they leave it looks like.
    If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

That they'll be cutting their payroll more than a fourth, regardless of how they do this year, is disgusting. Really is a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by RSchmitz View Post
      http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5625055

I'm going to have to wean myself off this team before they leave it looks like.
      The only place they will be going is Hillsborough County.
      I’m a senior. As are Donnie, Puckhead, and JB.

Who knew?

Comment

Honest question, though: It will change, sure, but will it be enough? Believe me, I want them in Hillsborough, I want them to succeed (my loyalty to another team be damned, I still want the Rays to do well in the area, for the area), but without going off on another rant about how fairweather this town is, I worry they will just suffer the fate of the 1997-2003 Lightning and the current Buccaneers squad.

I see so many comments on TBO and TBT ranting about how this is just another case of "spoiled" athletes trying to tell people how to spend their money in hard economic times but it reeks of just a bunch (not all) of wishy-washy, indifferent residents getting their panties in a knot because they are getting called on their BS from the players themselves, and not just outside media figures - who will likely jump ALL over this.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_haas View Post
          That they'll be cutting their payroll more than a fourth, regardless of how they do this year, is disgusting. Really is a shame.
          But everything is wonderful without a salary cap. Yep, no problems here.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick9911 View Post
            Honest question, though: It will change, sure, but will it be enough?
            I've said it before - I don't think so. Another excuse will come up.

I see so many comments on TBO and TBT ranting about how this is just another case of "spoiled" athletes trying to tell people how to spend their money in hard economic times but it reeks of just a bunch (not all) of wishy-washy, indifferent residents getting their panties in a knot because they are getting called on their BS from the players themselves, and not just outside media figures - who will likely jump ALL over this.
            YUP!! Hitting too close to the truth. Price's comment came off as flip to me (twitter will do that I guess) but Longoria obviously thought long & hard about saying something and he put it the best way he could.

There are far more than 10k people in this area who still have jobs & could go to a game if they wanted to. Sorry but those of us in the northern 'burbs (and the guys I split Bolts tickets with are way on south in Venice!) don't want to hear all this "oh it's so faaaaaaar" crap. I work with someone who lives in Wesley Chapel & still manages to go to the Rays several times a year. If people aren't going now, what are they waiting for?

Comment

Problem #1 - a lack of business support. Sport teams live on the tickets purchased and distributed by business. Tampa has a double problem. There aren't enough corporations for 3 teams AND the businesses that they have are disproportionately suffering due to the bad economy in SW Florida.

Moving the team to Tampa might help, but the basic problem will remain.
              “Every man who has stepped foot on the moon launched from the Kennedy Space Center, in Florida. Yet, Florida has failed to figure out how to run an election properly — a task simpler than rocket science.”

Comment

Well hopefully people show up for the playoff games.. That would be really embarrassing.

Maybe Tampa Bay just ain't a baseball town. I mean that's worse numbers than the Lightning, for a team that's done far better lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoek View Post
                  Well hopefully people show up for the playoff games.. That would be really embarrassing.

Maybe Tampa Bay just ain't a baseball town. I mean that's worse numbers than the Lightning, for a team that's done far better lately.
                  That ain't it. If half the fans who cheer for out of state teams cheered for the Rays instead, the stadium would be packed
                  If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

Comment

Originally posted by Sotnos View Post
                    There are far more than 10k people in this area who still have jobs & could go to a game if they wanted to.
                    That is true, but what would they have to give up to do it?

Sorry but those of us in the northern 'burbs (and the guys I split Bolts tickets with are way on south in Venice!) don't want to hear all this "oh it's so faaaaaaar" crap. I work with someone who lives in Wesley Chapel & still manages to go to the Rays several times a year. If people aren't going now, what are they waiting for?
                    Baseball just isn't that exciting of a sport live, even if I could afford it. Hell, I live near Indian Rocks Beach, and I get off work at 5pm, it takes me till 5:20pm to get home, shower, get something to eat to avoid stadium food, it's about 6:20pm before I'd be back on the road again. It's just not worth the hectic running around.

Now if I could still afford to go to Lightning games, I'd make the effort.

The thing is, you have to REALLY be a baseball fan to watch it live. You can't just be a casual fan and watch it in person. Whereas I think there are quite a few casual football and hockey fans that'd make the effort to go to a game over baseball.

Lastly, a note to Evan and David. I appreciate the urge to complain about not having fans show up.

But PLEASE do it DURING THE SEASON, not when Maddon is playing ring around the rosey with AAA players. If he's not going to play full time players, then the fans shouldn't have to pay full time prices.

I know what people are thinking, he's resting the better players for the playoffs. So then in turn, maybe the fans are resting their money for the playoffs as well.
                    "I don't want to call him scared, but Worrell always seemed to avoid me." -Kyle Freadrich

Comment

Monday night games have always been the worst in attendance for MLB. Add to the fact we are playing Baltimore.

Comment

About 5k more fans there tonight.. I think things will change once they relocate to Hills. county. I'd expect a big attendance bump.

Comment

Yahoo Recap

Team president Matt Silverman announced before the game that the Rays will make available 20,000 free tickets for Wednesday night’s regular-season home finale against the Orioles, a decision the executive said probably wouldn’t have been made if the players had not spoken out about low attendance.

Any fans who purchased tickets in sections where free ones are located may exchange them for a lower box seat.

“This is about getting more energy into Tropicana Field, getting this place packed, and for the players to thrive off of that emotion,” Silverman said. “We saw it in the past. We’ve seen it this year, and we will see it in the postseason.”

Comment

Originally posted by RSchmitz View Post
                            That ain't it. If half the fans who cheer for out of state teams cheered for the Rays instead, the stadium would be packed
                            Sure, but being in Hillsborough doesn't change that. Nothing's going to change that but time.

Originally posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
                            The thing is, you have to REALLY be a baseball fan to watch it live. You can't just be a casual fan and watch it in person.
                            This is true, it's what makes it tough with so many games. I think the Rays staff has said they're not even aiming for tons of STHs, they just want a lot of people to go to a few games.

Team president Matt Silverman announced before the game that the Rays will make available 20,000 free tickets for Wednesday night’s regular-season home finale against the Orioles, a decision the executive said probably wouldn’t have been made if the players had not spoken out about low attendance.
                            This is a smart move, I know several people who'll jump on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sotnos View Post
                              Sure, but being in Hillsborough doesn't change that. Nothing's going to change that but time.
                              QFT, sad but true. However, don't you think that puts even more emphasis on moving to Tampa? They are in such an extreme disadvantage compared to all of these other teams, anything they can do to increase ticket sales they should try and do it, what else can they do? And in the business model, isn't the number one criteria for selling your product behind quality, accessibility? By moving to Tampa they will be making themselves accessible to a much larger population, and demographically a much larger population of Floridians/Rays fans and not Yankee snow birds.

Comment

Working...
                              X