Next year's starting lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next year's starting lineup

It's never too soon to start prognosticating about next year's lineup, so why not now!

It looks like on cap friendly we're already almost 2 mil over the cap for 2023 without resigning Palat or Paul who are UFAs. As others on this site have been saying, it looks like Palat is gone for sure. To keep Paul, I'm hoping we can trade Killorn who only has 1 year left at 4.45 mil use the difference on Paul. Rutta is also a UFA, but he could be replaced with Foote.

Hagel, Colton and Paul would all be moved into the top 6, so we'd need some new cheap, young, speedy bodies to fill their spots in the lower lines. After looking over our prospects, these three sound interesting - Gabriel Fortier, Cole Keoke, Sammy Walker.

"Koepke has excellent goal scoring instincts. His combination of shot versatility and ability to get himself into scoring position allows him to score in a number of different ways. Koepke is an explosive skater with high end top speed. His size along with his ability to play with speed with the puck is an asset offensively. Koepke works hard at both ends of the ice and plays with a good tenacity and physicality in battles. He has a strong frame and wide shoulders which he uses as an asset in winning pucks and position on the ice."
    Koepke had 20 goals in 69 games with Syracuse.

(Fortier)
    "Is a constant menace to opposing defensemen on the forecheck due the combination of his speed and tenacity. Works extremely hard every shift and never backs down from challenges. Lacks optimum size and will have to prove he can play his strong forechecking style effectively at the highest level. Also, must prove he can produce points to avoid role-player status."
    Fortier had 14 goals in 72 games with Syracuse.

(Walker)
    "2021-22 | SENIOR SEASON
    Team captain (the first three-year team captain in Minnesota history) • All-Big Ten Honorable Mention • skated in all 39 games as a senior for the Gophers during the 2021-22 season • recorded a new career high with 14 goals while tallying 27 points and 13 assists • helped the Gophers win the 2021-22 Big Ten Regular-Season Championship and advance to the NCAA Frozen Four for the first time since 2014 • team was 10-1-0 when he scored a goal and 16-3-0 when he tallied a point • led Minnesota's forward group with a career-high 25 blocked shots • posted a career-best four game-winning goals • notched eight multi-point games • opened the season with a two-point game and the deciding tally in a 7-4 win over Alaska on Oct. 8 • scored twice including the overtime winner in a 4-3 win at St. Cloud State on Oct. 16 • scored two goals including the game winner in a 3-1 victory over Michigan State on Feb. 5 • found the net for the deciding goal in Minnesota's 3-2 win over Penn State in the Big Ten tournament semifinals on March 12 • the 85th Gopher to record 100 career points • Academic All-Big Ten • earned fourth letter. "

So without knowing what happens over the offseason, I would guess the lines will look something like this:

Paul Stamkos Kucherov
    Colton Point Hagel
    Koepke Cirelli Perry
    Fortier Bellemare Maroon
    Walker

Hedman Foote
    Cernak McD
    Serge Bogo

I'm hoping starting training camp playing with either Kucherov or Point will get Hagel's offense going again.

I can see this team making the playoffs, but not another deep postseason run - which honestly might be a good thing for them to get a legit offseason rest. Stamkos said they'll have 10-12 weeks before training camp starts - another short offseason. With what Brisbois usually accomplishes each offseason, I'm probably way off.

I can promise you we won’t see Walker at all. He weighs a buck fitty with his uni on. No way he skips the AHL. Has he even signed?

Also, don’t forget we’ve got LTIR relief w the final year of Seabrook’s contract next season. I’ve heard EE or Joe Smith estimate we’ve got about $5 million to spend (thats with Palat, Paul, Rutta and Nash UFA).
    “Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU

Comment

Ah, thanks, I didn't know how Seabrook's contract affected the cap. Maybe we can keep Killorn and have enough to sign Paul then.

Comment

Neither Walker or Guttman were signed. We still have their rights until August, but if they haven't been signed by now, I doubt it's happening.

Here's what our current roster for next season looks like:

Forwards (10): Point, Kucherov, Stamkos, Killorn, Cirelli, Colton, Maroon, Hagel, Bellemare, Perry

Defense: (6): Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Cernak, Foote, Bogosian

Goalies (2): Vasy and Elliott

Current Cap Space: $5,650,000

Comment

So if Killorn is traded Lightning would have the cap space to sign Palat.m, Paul and Rutta.
          Bolts72

Comment

Walker not signing is a huge sad face, one of the dangers of selecting guys in college or on their way to college
            If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

Comment

Eh, he wasn’t that good in college, and he’s tiny. I’d be happy to see him suit up for Syracuse, though, and I’m curious how he’ll fare in the A

Comment

I thought both Cernak and Bogo had good playoffs. Rutta was solid as well.
                But, as impressed as I was with McDonagh's shot blocking, I was disappointed with his puck handling, foot speed, and numerous giveaways. I know he's got huge leadership skills as a former C, but....Thoughts?

Also, how close is Perbix to being NHL ready? I know he's only had the first year in the A.
                "Who are white supremacists?" Proud Boys. "Well I tell the Proud Boys to stand back, and stand by"

Comment

Originally posted by Puckhead View Post
                  But, as impressed as I was with McDonagh's shot blocking, I was disappointed with his puck handling, foot speed, and numerous giveaways. I know he's got huge leadership skills as a former C, but....Thoughts?

Also, how close is Perbix to being NHL ready? I know he's only had the first year in the A.
                  His mangled finger may have been the cause
                  If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

Comment

Originally posted by Bolthed View Post
                    Eh, he wasn’t that good in college, and he’s tiny. I’d be happy to see him suit up for Syracuse, though, and I’m curious how he’ll fare in the A
                    I know, but our pipeline can use all the help it can get

Comment

I think McDonagh is currently still worth his price tag, but we'll probably be buying out the last year or two of his contract, as he'll be 37 when ends.

Looks like Perbix finished his last season at St. Cloud State U and then played 12 games with Syracuse this year, totaling an impressive 10 points in 12 games in the regular season. If he keeps playing like that, I'd think he's got at least half of next year down there before he comes up.

Comment

To me the solution for next year’s lineup is trade Alex Killorn. That gives BriseBois the cap space to sign Palat, Paul and Rutta who all said they want to come back. Killorn will be 33 when next season starts. Very smart player, good on PK and great teammate but he lacks speed and really not that physical. He had no goals in SC playoffs and not a lot of good looks. Coaches took him off the PP. Believe Lightning have quicker/faster players to fill his PK role.
                        Bolts72

Comment

McDonagh appears to be heading for the cliff. JBB should look at attempting to move him (if at all possible) while he still has some value.
                          I’m a senior. As are Donnie, Puckhead, and JB.

Who knew?

Comment

Reminiscing about the Lightning roster and the changes that have occurred over the last 10 years, it is clear that the clock is ticking on the sustainability of that group who "Set hockey history" back in the spring of 2012 with the Norfolk Admirals. Their win streak of 28 straight games and a dominant performance in the AHL playoffs cemented them as one of (if not THE) best AHL teams of all time. Looking at that team celebration poster that I've kept as a memento reveals that there remain five people who have been with the Lightning and played big roles in the success that the Bolts have had since that group joined the Lightning in the next year: Julien, Coop, Gar, Killer, & Pally. Quite a legacy. I sure wish and hope there is a way to keep both Killer and Pally as this off-season passes.
                            Every game starts 5 on 5.

Comment

Da fuck is Gar?

Comment

Working...
                              X