This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agree with this …

The Athletic’s Joe Smith asked former GM Craig Button who the Kraken should take.

“If I’m Seattle, I’m taking Palat. I think I can trade him for a boat’s ransom. If another team says, ‘You get Palat, we’ll give you this.’ That’s a guy I would want. I’m doing everything I can to get Ondrej Palat. Any team serious about winning would be after Palat.

“I love Killorn. Yanni Gourde is a really strong player. But I’d go with Palat.”
    Everything I’m reading from hockey insiders indicates that Cirelli isn’t even in consideration for being exposed.

I thought it was telling that the Hockey Guy had asterisks on Johnson, Killorn and Gourde but felt like protecting Palat in a 7-3-1 was virtually a no-brainer. I agree. Palat may be my favorite Bolt, but he’s also a top-line glue guy. I’d hate to lose him.
    Last edited by Bolthed; 07-17-2021, 05:19 PM.
    “Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU

Comment

• Cirelli going nowhere. McCaan probably takes Hyman’s spot. Not sure what all the hype is for Hyman who is 29.
      Really feel Lightning will get some players seeking The Stanley Cup. This is not the year to overpay!
      Bolts72

Comment

• Go get your $$ Goodrow
        If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

Comment

• List released; we went 4`4`1. Protected; Stamkos, Kuch, Point, Cirelli. Hedman, Cernak,Sergachev, McD, and Vasy. Well now we know the core, should be interesting to see who the Kraken pick…my bet is Palat and then we trade them TJ for a low round pick.

Comment

• I'm seeing people freak out over Gourde and it's like, look our third line was absolutely huge but let's keep in mind we had practically none of that unit together going into the trade deadline in 2020. JBB can make moves to put together a new one. He's got time to figure it out. Don't need it in the regular season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoek View Post
              I'm seeing people freak out over Gourde and it's like, look our third line was absolutely huge but let's keep in mind we had practically none of that unit together going into the trade deadline in 2020. JBB can make moves to put together a new one. He's got time to figure it out. Don't need it in the regular season.
              And until Gourde was put with Goodrow and Coleman there were serious concerns that he wasn't performing up to that contract.

I also recall in the LV draft lots of people were relieved that they worked the deal to take Garrison so Dochin and Koekkoek would be safe. Turns out neither would have been much of a loss.

It is only one player, not the end of the world. To me the biggest thing about this is it is a great chance to clear the TJ contract if we can get Seattle to cooperate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iceman View Post

And until Gourde was put with Goodrow and Coleman there were serious concerns that he wasn't performing up to that contract.
                This is an excellent point that can easily get lost in the (deserved) love that we all have for Gourde. But I also think we lose Palat, who has the most value. That would make me sad, but there’s still hope we could get Pally back in a year when he’s UFA.

There is a part of me that would have rather exposed McDonagh and dared Seattle to select him, but after the way he performed in these last two cup runs, that was just never going to happen. Can’t help but agree with JBB that keeping the heart of our defense together is what keeps our window open to win it all again. And again.

We lose Palat and move TJ, we’re looking at this possibly …

Gourde-Point-Kuch
                Stamkos-Cirelli-Killorn
                Joseph-Colton-​​​​​​Maroon
                Raddysh-Stephens-Katchouk

Hedman-Rutta
                Sergachev-Cernak
                McDonagh-Foote

Vasy
                Backup

Obviously lots of moveable parts. Colton could get a shot on the top line. UFAs could be brought in … if we have any cap space after signing a goalie. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we play half a season with a very young bottom of the roster in order to evaluate our large group of kids who have earned a look. Then JBB makes moves at the deadline. Sounds like a plan.

Comment

• I'd be surprised if they took a 1 year rental (Palat) over 2 guys with multiple years of control (killorn/gourde) or taking a flier on a young guy like Colton. Palat is probably the best player, but not even close to the best asset.

Comment

• Originally posted by matz2589 View Post
                    I'd be surprised if they took a 1 year rental (Palat) over 2 guys with multiple years of control (killorn/gourde) or taking a flier on a young guy like Colton. Palat is probably the best player, but not even close to the best asset.
                    Depends on their goal. Palat could fetch them a huge return of draft picks/prospects, especially closer to the trade deadline. If their end game is to build up their system to compete in 3 years, palat may have the greatest value.

Comment

• I agree BTH, Palat is one of those guys who play at a high level but go unnoticed because they don’t make many mistakes and as Cooper has said “He is the straw that stirs the drink “. He makes things happen. That is why I think the Kraken take him…he can also serve as a teacher for the younger players they grab, and he has 2 Cup rings, and they need that experience.

Comment

• Yeah, the Krak could trade Palat now for a pick and an NHLer or a pick and a good prospect … or they could play him on the top line and the PP and then flip him at the deadline for a 1st, maybe more. Don’t forget, Palat was scoring at a career-best .84 per game average last regular season. He had a good Cup run this year and an excellent run the year before. He might not be a sexy name player, but hockey people know.

Comment

• I only see three scenarios. Most likely, there is a deal in place for TJ, especially when you look at the Andrew Ladd trade yesterday and the lack of quality centers exposed to Seattle today. Unlike Ladd, Johnson is actually an NHL player and will give them a productive player down the middle, if they aren't being stubborn there is incentive on both sides to make a deal happen.

The other two scenarios are simple, they take Gourde or Foote. I would lean more towards Foote now that I've seen the lists, because the Kraken have to take 9 defensemen and the pickings were slim today. If Francis thinks they will instantly compete for a playoff spot however, he may see more value in Gourde.

I don't think it is likely they take Palat, he'll be a lame duck if they aren't able to work a trade this offseason. His modified NTC will complicate what Seattle can do to make that happen, since they can't talk to him before the draft. Then they are relying on him to be productive on a new team and without the benefit of playing with Point or Kucherov, so his value may deflate. I don't think it's impossible though.
                          If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

Comment

• I won’t bat an eyelash if they select Foote. We’d actually be better off in the short term with a veteran free agent on a minimum salary. Hell, I’d even add a middling draft pick or prospect to go along with Foote in a trade that sees the Krak take Johnson’s full salary.

Comment

• I get the feeling that going 4/4 is a sign that a deal wasn't made. If you made a deal to take Johnson, the bolts could of just went 7/3 knowing that McDonagh wasn't going to be selected.

Comment

• Francis has a fascinating job putting this team together. Looks like he has many goalies to choose from and then trade for assets. His D options are not nearly as quality as forwards so Foote could be in play.. Suspect he is looking for more forwards in their mid twenties or younger, no 30 year olds. At Carolina Francis loaded up on D. If Cirelli was not protected he would have been snapped up immediately. Palat, Killorn, and Gourde all have their pros and cons but can you expect them produce in another system. None of them are really snipers and believe all have already had their career year. Who on the Lightning have the highest ceiling? Would not be surprised if Seattle received Foote and/or Joseph to pick Johnson.
                                Bolts72

Comment

Working...
                                X