This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning 2021 Offseason

Some offseason discussion is spilling over into the playoff thread. There is about a week to go until the expansion draft protection lists are due
    If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

It's going to be interesting for sure. Gotta think we are going to be replacing at least 4 guys, maybe more. Coleman and TJ are likely gone, there is the expansion draft, and possibly a couple more guys needed to jettison to get under the cap for next year.
    Bullshit Centrist and Ondrej Palat fan club member

Comment

Has to be one of Killorn or Palat gone. I have to think the broken leg scares some teams away from Killorn.
      If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

Comment

Originally posted by dannybolt View Post
        It's going to be interesting for sure. Gotta think we are going to be replacing at least 4 guys, maybe more. Coleman and TJ are likely gone, there is the expansion draft, and possibly a couple more guys needed to jettison to get under the cap for next year.
        Coleman (there’s no way someone doesn’t pay him big) and TJ off the books would get you most of the way there. In reality the Lightning only have to clear a Kucherov-sized chunk of cap space. The Gaborik and Nilsson money doesn’t really count because they’re retired.

Comment

I think we are about 4-5 million over the cap for next season already, with several positions left to be filled. Trading TJ and Killorn/Palat gets you there for sure.

Comment

We also have to keep in mind that Barre-Boulet, Raddysh, and Katchouk all require waivers next season and will be claimed. Let's say that we retain no UFA's and fill in all the spots internally. The roster would look something like this (assuming Johnson goes in expansion):

Palat/Killorn - Point - Kucherov
            Colton - Cirelli - Stamkos
            Katchouk - Gourde - Joseph
            Maroon - ABB - Raddysh
            Stephens

Hedman - Rutta
            McDonagh - Cernak
            Sergachev - Foote

Vasy

This roster (with Palat leaving and Killorn staying) would leave about $2.8 Million for another defenseman and a backup goalie. It would leave about $1.9 Million if we keep Palat and move Killorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Derek28 View Post
              We also have to keep in mind that Barre-Boulet, Raddysh, and Katchouk all require waivers next season and will be claimed. Let's say that we retain no UFA's and fill in all the spots internally. The roster would look something like this (assuming Johnson goes in expansion):

Maroon - ABB - Raddysh
              Stephens

Hedman - Rutta
              McDonagh - Cernak
              Sergachev - Foote

Vasy

This roster (with Palat leaving and Killorn staying) would leave about $2.8 Million for another defenseman and a backup goalie. It would leave about $1.9 Million if we keep Palat and move Killorn.
              Looks good

Comment

Originally posted by Derek28 View Post

Maroon - ABB - Raddysh
                Stephens

Hedman - Rutta
                McDonagh - Cernak
                Sergachev - Foote

Vasy

Just commenting on this for fun since last offseason proved things are completely unpredictable in the offseason, but...

The thing that stands out to me with this roster is how strong we are at center and how weak we'd be at wing comparatively, with the understanding Stamkos is a center, not a winger. Colton also looked better to me as a center than a wing.

Cirelli is not a 2nd line center in my opinion, he and Gourde are pretty similar to me. I think it would be ideal if we traded Gourde (with his higher salary and lower ceiling), played Stamkos at 2nd line center and Cirelli at 3rd line center. That would allow us to keep Palat and Killorn. Trading Gourde won't be easy, maybe we include a prospect or a pick to make it happen.

Palat - Point - Kucherov
                Killorn - Stamkos - Raddysh
                Katchouk - Cirelli - Joseph
                Maroon - Colton - Stephens
                ABB

Comment

I'd rather have Gourde than Cirelli.

Comment

Originally posted by the_narrow_way View Post
                    I'd rather have Gourde than Cirelli.
                    At first thought I was going to say how ridiculous this was but you may be right. At the very least it’s a closer call than it was a year ago

Comment

Originally posted by RSchmitz View Post

At first thought I was going to say how ridiculous this was but you may be right. At the very least it’s a closer call than it was a year ago
                      I don't think it's close...37 controls WAY more loose pucks in the O zone. Gourde gets my vote. (now watch, some fancy stats are going to say I'm wrong..)
                      "Who are white supremacists?" Proud Boys. "Well I tell the Proud Boys to stand back, and stand by"

Comment

How about Henrik Lundqvist as the backup goaltender? To have the opportunity to win a Cup, solid friend of McDonagh and Hedman.
                        Cirelli and Gourde will be protected IMO.
                        Bolts72

Comment

Originally posted by Puckhead View Post

I don't think it's close...37 controls WAY more loose pucks in the O zone. Gourde gets my vote. (now watch, some fancy stats are going to say I'm wrong..)
                          You don't think it's close between Cirelli and Gourde? Yeah, disagree with that.

Comment

I think the big question about Cirelli is whether he's been injured this whole time and that's why his offense disappeared, or is this who he really is? Because if so, he's really not a top 6 center imo. Would rather have Gourde as he at least brings offense along with the insane forechecking ability.

Comment

Gourde has an NTC until next offseason.
                              “Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU

Comment

Working...
                              X