Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade Deadline 2021 (Monday, April 12th)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Elliotte Friedman thinks that the bolts are interested in David Savard (RD) from Columbus if they could make it work cap wise. He makes $4.25 Million, so even with full retention, it would cost $2,125,000.

    I guess we could technically make it work if you were to trade/waive Rutta and trade Stephens.

    Hedman-Savard
    McDonagh-Cernak
    Sergachev-Foote

    Rutta on the taxi squad only costs $225,000 against the cap.

    Comment


    • #32
      I could think of worse pickups, he's a solid stay at home guy with a nice first pass which is what we need.
      If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

      Comment


      • #33
        If we could actually make it work then sure. I liked what I saw of him against us, but maybe the Blue Jackets fans can say otherwise.

        Comment


        • #34
          It makes me wonder if they would be interested in Manson if they are interested in Savard. The JBB/Yzerman era have never went the rental route with trades and Manson is signed for next season. There would be some complications with the expansion draft though if you went after Manson so maybe that isn't likely.

          Comment


          • #35
            I mean, I guess Savard is an upgrade on rutta? But he is not nearly as good as people seem to be making him out to be.

            Comment


            • #36
              All due respect, Burnt, but you’re off on that eval. And I’m a little surprised since you saw what all Lightning fans saw in the playoffs the last two years. Is he top4 on our team? Hell no. I’m not saying he’s Scott Stevens. But he’s top4 on a lot of teams. He’s tough as hell, can play a shutdown style, log minutes, just turned 30, he’s mobile and has some moderate skills. Plus, he’s right handed, which would allow us to pair him with Hedman and let Sergachev, maybe our best skating dman, cover for Foote. Most importantly, he’s miles ahead of Rutta.

              It makes a ton of sense, and it’s a rumor that is making the rounds. I saw Joe Smith mention Savard as well. The problem is the price tag. We don’t have a second rounder, which is a common price for a solid rental. If we’re asking Columbus to retain salary they might want our first, which I’d rather not do. If we offer our third, I’d imagine they would want a prospect to sweeten the deal, and I wouldn’t want to include anyone of value aside from Stephens (who isn’t easy to throw in BTW, considering our need for cheap, lower line guys). But if that package got it done, then yes, sign me up for Savard. He’s about as good a target as we could hope for.

              Another Smith suggestion that makes a TON of sense is Detroit, which is selling. Yzerman has got to be easy for JBB to negotiate with, although he knows our system so well he could make any trade hurt if he really wants to. Still, the Wings have 3 dmen who’d be pure rentals — Staal, Nemeth and Merrill. They’re all lefties, but IMO Staal and Merrill are clear upgrades over Rutta, and Nemeth is decent depth (I’d put him over Borgman for sure, but we’re talking about a No. 7 or 8 guy, so I’m not all that interested).

              Staal has everything we could want for the third pair — experience, shutdown D, enough mobility and instinct to babysit Foote. But his salary is an issue. Detroit would have to retain a chunk, and who knows if Yzerman would be generous with his boss’ money or want more than our 3rd (DET already has a boatload of picks)? Merrill could be an easier lift. He’s in his prime, has good experience from Vegas and has a nice, well-rounded game with no glaring weaknesses. A 3rd is probably a fair return, but he’s played well and Yzerman might not be so keen on moving him. Smith also suggested Glendening could be of interest, and it’s hard not to salivate over his god-like faceoff stats this season (league-leading 64%). I wonder if YZ might be tempted to trade Merrill and Glendening for Stephens and a 3rd. If that’s not there, it’s close. I’d just be a wee bit fearful of Yzerman digging in his heels and demanding Sammy Walker, Nick Perbix or even Otto Somppi.

              One thing seems likely, and that’s a trade for a pure rental (history be damned). The entire league is going to be thrown into chaos with expansion and cap issues. Trading for a guy with term left likely means exposing him to the Kraken. Similarly, if we happen to bring in a solid third-pair guy who’s inexpensive, we’d have as good a shot as any team to re-sign him.
              Last edited by Bolthed; 03-29-2021, 11:17 PM.
              “Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Bolthed View Post
                All due respect, Burnt, but you’re off on that eval. And I’m a little surprised since you saw what all Lightning fans saw in the playoffs the last two years. Is he top4 on our team? Hell no. I’m not saying he’s Scott Stevens. But he’s top4 on a lot of teams. He’s tough as hell, can play a shutdown style, log minutes, just turned 30, he’s mobile and has some moderate skills. Plus, he’s right handed, which would allow us to pair him with Hedman and let Sergachev, maybe our best skating dman, cover for Foote. Most importantly, he’s miles ahead of Rutta.

                It makes a ton of sense, and it’s a rumor that is making the rounds. I saw Joe Smith mention Savard as well. The problem is the price tag. We don’t have a second rounder, which is a common price for a solid rental. If we’re asking Columbus to retain salary they might want our first, which I’d rather not do. If we offer our third, I’d imagine they would want a prospect to sweeten the deal, and I wouldn’t want to include anyone of value aside from Stephens (who isn’t easy to throw in BTW, considering our need for cheap, lower line guys). But if that package got it done, then yes, sign me up for Savard. He’s about as good a target as we could hope for.

                Another Smith suggestion that makes a TON of sense is Detroit, which is selling. Yzerman has got to be easy for JBB to negotiate with, although he knows our system so well he could make any trade hurt if he really wants to. Still, the Wings have 3 dmen who’d be pure rentals — Staal, Nemeth and Merrill. They’re all lefties, but IMO Staal and Merrill are clear upgrades over Rutta, and Nemeth is decent depth (I’d put him over Borgman for sure, but we’re talking about a No. 7 or 8 guy, so I’m not all that interested).

                Staal has everything we could want for the third pair — experience, shutdown D, enough mobility and instinct to babysit Foote. But his salary is an issue. Detroit would have to retain a chunk, and who knows if Yzerman would be generous with his boss’ money or want more than our 3rd (DET already has a boatload of picks)? Merrill could be an easier lift. He’s in his prime, has good experience from Vegas and has a nice, well-rounded game with no glaring weaknesses. A 3rd is probably a fair return, but he’s played well and Yzerman might not be so keen on moving him. Smith also suggested Glendening could be of interest, and it’s hard not to salivate over his god-like faceoff stats this season (league-leading 64%). I wonder if YZ might be tempted to trade Merrill and Glendening for Stephens and a 3rd. If that’s not there, it’s close. I’d just be a wee bit fearful of Yzerman digging in his heels and demanding Sammy Walker, Nick Perbix or even Otto Somppi.

                One thing seems likely, and that’s a trade for a pure rental (history be damned). The entire league is going to be thrown into chaos with expansion and cap issues. Trading for a guy with term left likely means exposing him to the Kraken. Similarly, if we happen to bring in a solid third-pair guy who’s inexpensive, we’d have as good a shot as any team to re-sign him.
                I've watched a ton of columbus over the years, and a lot this year. He gets burned a lot. You are judging off of a playoff series. I've said for a while I don't think he's a top 4 dman (you can ask zo my thoughts on him and jones). Savards XGF% is 44%. Now yes, columbus us bad, but for reference, he's the worst on the team for dmen over 12 starts, and his partner is like 47%. Is he an upgrade? Yeah most likely, our right side is not in good shape. But is he worth what it would cost? I'd say no way. I personally would rather snag Del Zotto from CBJ. I worry a lot more about our LHD depth now than I do about our suspect RHD.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by BurnTHalO View Post

                  I've watched a ton of columbus over the years, and a lot this year. He gets burned a lot. You are judging off of a playoff series. I've said for a while I don't think he's a top 4 dman (you can ask zo my thoughts on him and jones). Savards XGF% is 44%. Now yes, columbus us bad, but for reference, he's the worst on the team for dmen over 12 starts, and his partner is like 47%. Is he an upgrade? Yeah most likely, our right side is not in good shape. But is he worth what it would cost? I'd say no way. I personally would rather snag Del Zotto from CBJ. I worry a lot more about our LHD depth now than I do about our suspect RHD.
                  Sounds like you have seen him more than me, what do you think the cost would be? He eats minutes and takes a lot of D zone draws, and he can move the puck up the ice. That checks all of the right boxes, and I don't think we are in a position to be too picky. I've always seen Columbus fans speak highly of him, I'm surprised by your take.
                  If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Wondering what the value of Mitchell Stephens is in a trade? What happens in regards to the cap if Kuch is ready early? Kuch skating now and close to 5 weeks left in season....

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Kizman View Post
                      Wondering what the value of Mitchell Stephens is in a trade? What happens in regards to the cap if Kuch is ready early? Kuch skating now and close to 5 weeks left in season....
                      First, point skated before training camp and still wasn't ready til well into the season. He's not close yet, people need to stop freaking out about him light skating. Second, I dont think they can even if he is ready because they designated him on LTIR before the season started and took the cap overage.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        The Lightning have been scouting Philadelphia pretty hard recently. I would guess that the bolts have some interest in Justin Braun. He does check a lot of boxes for what you would want. A right shot defensive defenseman that can kill penalties, is a non-rental that isn't likely to be selected in expansion (makes $1.8 million this year and next), and has 100 games of playoff experience.

                        I don't know what the price would be, but I would guess the Flyers would want Boris Katchouk who was so good on a line in juniors with one of their top prospects Morgan Frost.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Oops, I forgot we had this trade deadline thread. Here's the deal from a few hours ago:

                          NYI gets: F Kyle Palmieri, F Travis Zajac

                          NJ gets: 1st round pick in 2021, conditional 3rd/4th round pick in 2022/2023, and minor league forwards Mason Jobst and AJ Greer

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            FLA gets: Lucas Wallmark, Lucas Carlsson
                            CHI gets: Brett Connolly, Riley Stillman, Henrik Borgstrom, 7th in 2021
                            “Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              More trades imminent?

                              David Savard, Taylor Hall and Brandon Montour among those scratched for “precautions.” There are a bunch of other guys sitting tonight for undisclosed reasons, so it should be an interesting few days.
                              “Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by The Great Zo View Post
                                F Travis Zajac
                                I can’t think of many non-franchise players who had a run with one team as long as he the one he had in Jersey. That was what, 15 years?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X