This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bolthed View Post
    Turner Sports got the second TV rights package. That’s TNT, TBS and HBOMax, although they’re not saying how they plan to involve the streamer just yet.

Altogether, the league more than tripled its annual TV revenue (but somehow this still won’t impact the expected flat cap for the next couple of years).

Turner gets the Winter Classic. ESPN and Turner will alternate the Cup Final every other year, which means when it’s on Turner it’ll be the first time a major league’s championship will be shown exclusively on cable.

Lot of talk about broadcasters, analysts and studio hosts. Sadly, we will be subjected to more of Barry Melrose and the always annoying Original-Six shill John Buccigross. But on the bright side ESPN is already being lobbied to bring back Gary Thorne, and social media is clamoring for Turner to somehow involve Charles Barkley in their studio show, which sounds awesome.

All in all, it’s great news for the NHL.
    As much as we hate Melrose the coach he's actually a really good analyst and am looking forward to seeing him, he has never sour graped the team for jettisoning him. Buccigross is meh but hell yes to Gary Thorne. I know Barkley likes the NHL but not sure how knowledgeable he is could really limit his role
    If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

Comment

• Even if Barkley knows nothing, he would still make for must-watch TV. In fact, it might be better if he gets educated during the shows. It’d be fascinating to watch, and I bet it would do more for POC outreach than anything the league has ever done.
      “Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU

Comment

• Barkley is already on the air like 4-5 nights a week during the NBA playoffs. I think it would be tough to get him involved with hockey when they (usually) run simultaneously. On the plus side, Turner is hands down the best in the business at building a good studio show.

Comment

• The more NHL can splice itself with other sports the better. The Jalen Ramsey thing from a year ago where he claimed he could step in and play at an NHL level was actually a great move by the NHL. Barkley is a good personality, just don't think he should be like a color analyst or anything.
          If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

Comment

• Nope, just occasional studio-show levity

Comment

• I would like to see Barkley interview players and coaches and see if he can get them out of their shells. He supposedly hit it off great with Jon Cooper so just give him access to more hockey guys and bring their personalities out.

Comment

• Jonathan Drouin taking indefinite leave of absence from Montreal Canadiens

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...real-canadiens

Comment

• Zero surprise from Lightning fans

Comment

• Hope it's nothing too bad regardless. Sad how his career has gone after the potential he showed here.

Comment

• He missed the last 3 days with a non-covid related illness, suspect that's a clue that he's probably headed to rehab

Comment

• Originally posted by The Great Zo View Post
                        April 26 update...

CENTRAL
                        Top 3 look to be locked in: CAR, FLA, TB. Too close to say who finishes where.
                        The #4 spot is a race between NSH and DAL. CHI is lurking behind.

WEST
                        The top 3 have clinched: VGK, COL, MIN. Vegas currently has a small lead for #1.
                        #4 is still a battle between ARI and STL.

EAST
                        Top 4 all look to be in pretty good shape: PIT, WAS, NYI, BOS. Pittsburgh and Washington with a decent lead for #1/#2.
                        NYR are lurking behind.

NORTH
                        TOR is locked in at #1.
                        WIN/EDM in a battle for #2/#3.
                        MON has slipped a bit but still has a decent lead for the #4 spot.
                        April 30 update...

CENTRAL
                        Top 3 look to be locked in: CAR, FLA, TB. Too close to say who finishes where.
                        The #4 spot is a race between NSH and DAL.

WEST
                        The top 3 have clinched: VGK, COL, MIN. Vegas currently has a small lead for #1.
                        STL has a good lead for #4, with Arizona lurking behind.

EAST
                        Top 4 are basically set: WAS, PIT, NYI, BOS.
                        Pittsburgh and Washington battling for #1/#2.
                        NYI and Boston battling for #3/#4.

NORTH
                        TOR #1, EDM #2, WIN #3, MON #4. Very good chance this is how it finishes.

Comment

• Originally posted by RSchmitz View Post
                          He missed the last 3 days with a non-covid related illness, suspect that's a clue that he's probably headed to rehab
                          If that is the reason then I hope him all the best and he can overcome the struggles he's facing.
                          Gudas Priest

Comment

• The Habs love to (and keep trying to) find that next Francophone star, but in doing so it puts massive pressure on a young man. I hope he figures it out. We all saw how talented he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolthed View Post
                              The Habs love to (and keep trying to) find that next Francophone star, but in doing so it puts massive pressure on a young man. I hope he figures it out. We all saw how talented he is.
                              I guess I'm way out of the loop on this, but I wonder does he have a prob with the sauce? Did he while he was here? Appears many of you are in-the-know..
                              "Who are white supremacists?" Proud Boys. "Well I tell the Proud Boys to stand back, and stand by"

Comment

• I know nothing ... except that hockey players always go out as a team and because they are amazing athletes, they can consume more than us mere mortals. Still, players rarely find trouble. They take Ubers to hotels and take care of each other. It’s part of their bond.

I really don’t know anything about Drouin and won’t speculate. I can see from afar that he’s been putting a ton of pressure on himself since he was young and has a circle around him that doesn’t appear to do much to relieve that pressure. I’m sure his time back home in Montreal has not been what he had hoped.

Comment

Working...
                                X