Peckham's replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peckham's replacement

Dave Randorf of Sportsnet, formerly with TSN.

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/t...rf/c-320038810
    “Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU

I’ve heard some of his calls... this is going to be a big downgrade I think.

Comment

He's fine. A worthy caretaker of the job.
      S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29

Comment

Anyone is a downgrade from Rick, but he's fine enough I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoek View Post
          Anyone is a downgrade from Rick, but he's fine enough I think.
          This. We have been spoiled by one of the all-time greats.
          Bullshit Centrist and Ondrej Palat fan club member

Comment

I think this is about as good a replacement as we could hope for. Glad they didn't go the Tampa Times route.

Comment

If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

Comment

I’ll admit I’m extremely spoiled by Peckham but also by Ralph Strangis and Dave Strader (rip) in Dallas. My standards are almost impossibly high now. Anyone short of, like, reincarnating Danny Gallivan is going to be disappointing.
                Last edited by TexasBolt; 01-08-2021, 02:45 AM.

Comment

He seems decent enough on first listen. Hard to move on from Peckham, but we don't get to decide that. I'm guessing in time we will grow to like him more. I'm guessing Peckhams best work with TBL came over time as he became part of the Organization.....

Comment

Make no mistake, this guy is a good PxP man. Knows his stuff, has a smooth voice with range, and has tons of high-level experience. Most markets don’t shop on the same aisle as the Lightning. Having Randorf and Engblom is pretty heady stuff.

I imagine the new guy will follow in Engblom’s footsteps in that he might be a little stiff at first, but as he comes to enjoy the organization, the players, the fans and the area we’ll see him loosen up and gradually become “one of us.” It’s been nice to see Engblom evolve, and that’s something we haven’t talked much about.

My only question about the new guy’s style is ... can he whisper and growl?

Peckham was a treasure.
                    “Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU

Comment

Agree about Engblom. Dude really makes the broadcast tons better. On a side note, I have spoken to him in a social setting, and he's just a really genuine person...quality person all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Kizman View Post
                        Agree about Engblom. Dude really makes the broadcast tons better. On a side note, I have spoken to him in a social setting, and he's just a really genuine person...quality person all around.
                        He has grown into the role. He was really stiff at first.
                        I’m a senior. As are Donnie, Puckhead, and JB.

Who knew?

Comment

Engblom was a great add when he came in, plus I think he had already worked with Peckham a few times on national games. One of the best in the league for sure. (He’s only a
                          couple months younger than Rick though...)

Comment

Engblom was so annoying when he first got here, milquetoast and neutral. I felt that near the end of the his first year, he genuinely became a fan of the team, his commentary aligned to his target audience instead of the national audience he was used to, and ever since then he's been amazing.
                            If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one

Comment

I agree 100% with Pete.

I would think it's a delicate balance for those guys, quite honestly. As a professional, you have a responsibility to present the games fairly, right? You don't want to turn yourself into a joke like Jackass Edwards, but at the same time, the team (and their fans) that butters your bread isn't going to want to hear you make excuses for bullshit from the other team, either, even if that is probably an impartial approach. Plus you need to be entertaining. Engblom's muscles were all built towards commenting on the game impartially when he got here, but that's not the role. The role is to have a home-town bias, but not over the top. He's done admirably in adjusting to the role, and I expect our new PxP guy to do the same. It might take a bit of time for it to happen, but I'm pretty confident in the Lightning to secure the right people for the right roles.

Once again, a guy like Vinick proves that when you have great leadership at the top, it filters down throughout the organization. Engblom was one more example of this. Randorf seems like another.
                              Bullshit Centrist and Ondrej Palat fan club member

Comment

Working...
                              X